This article was last updated on June 10, 2022
Trading quotes can be helpful in moments where inspiration is lacking or where ideas are needed. Compiling a list of exceptional sayings by the world’s most renowned traders is a great way to share their knowledge. This article will help with the discovery of motivational and perspective-expanding quotes because we all need a boost from time to time.
Whether you are looking for Paul Tudor Jones, Warren Buffet, Jack Schwager, or Jesse Livermore sayings to assist you in one way or another, we have them all listed below. However, these are not the only quotes we have compiled.
They are split into different categories, depending on what you need at the moment. But these sayings are not only motivational because they can also teach and guide you through basic principles of trading, risk management, and patience. Aside from business, however, these quotes can be directly translated to real-life as well.
Table of contents
- 20 Trading Quotes For A Proper Mindset
- Top 15 Trading Quotes On The Stock Market
- 10 Risk Management Quotes For Traders
- The 10 Best Stock Trading Quotes
- Bonus: 11 Warren Buffet’s Quotes Of Advice & Wisdom
- Final Words
20 Trading Quotes For A Proper Mindset
Whenever trading, you should be aiming to be in the correct mindset; otherwise, the risk of potential losses is higher. If you trade while being subjective, you are setting yourself up for failure.
Getting emotional over a loss is not great, as it is an inevitable part of trading. However, getting overconfident when a win occurs is potentially even worse. Both the ups and downs are part of the trading sector, making stress management and objectiveness key tools.
Remaining rational is a key ingredient to a higher probability of success, which is why we assembled a compilation of trading quotes for a more stable mindset.
1. “The desire for constant action irrespective of underlying conditions is responsible for many losses in Wall Street.”Jesse Livermore
2. “Never let a win go to your head, or a loss to your heart.”Chuck D.
3. “The game of speculation is the most uniformly fascinating game in the world. But it is not a game for the stupid, the mentally lazy, the person of inferior emotional balance, or the get-rich-quick adventurer. They will die poor.”Jesse Livermore
4. “There is nothing wrong with a ‘know nothing’ investor who realizes it. The problem is when you are a “know nothing” investor but you think you know something.”Warren Buffet
5. “When you learn to let go of the need to be right, being wrong gradually lose its power to disturb you.”Yvan Byeajee
6. “Don’t ever make the mistake of believing that market success has to come to you fast. Trade small, stay in the game, persist, and eventually, you’ll reach a satisfying level of proficiency.”Yvan Byeajee
7. “If you don’t respect risk, eventually they’ll carry you out.”Larry Hite
Learn To Accept Losses
8. “If you can’t take a small loss, sooner or later you will take the mother of all losses.”Ed Seykota
9. “Amateurs think about how much money they can make. Professionals think about how much money they could lose.”Jack Schwager
10. “Only buy something that you’d be perfectly happy to hold if the market shut down for 10 years.”Warren Buffet
11. “Do not anticipate and move without market confirmation—being a little late in your trade is your insurance that you are right or wrong.”Jesse Livermore Trading Quotes
12. “Invest for the long haul. Don’t get too greedy and don’t get too scared.”Shelby M.C. Davis
13. “Remember that stocks are never too high for you to begin buying or too low to begin selling.”Jesse Livermore
14. “Trade what’s happening… Not what you think is gonna happen.”Doug Gregory
15. “The question should not be how much I will profit on this trade! The true question is; will I be fine if I don’t profit from this trade.”Yvan Byeajee
16. “No matter how great the talent or efforts, some things just take time. You can’t produce a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant.”Warren Buffet
17. “Decrease your trading volume when you are trading poorly; increase your volume when you are trading well. Never trade in situations where you don’t have control.”Paul Tudor Jones
18. “The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.”Benjamin Graham
19. “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.”Warren Buffet
20. “The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.”Benjamin Graham
Top 15 Trading Quotes On The Stock Market
Buying and selling on the stock market is more popular and accessible than ever before. It might be true that times are changing, but the fundamentals remain the same. This allows traders who know the basics by heart to have the advantage over newcomers.
The stock market saw a great dip in the first quarter of 2020, but there are more opportunities than ever since then. Low prices engaged the general public, even those who were somewhat clueless.
It is always a good idea to see how great minds are deciphering the stock market and what they have to say about it. Whether it is sharing a trader’s knowledge or an opinion, these quotes will help broaden your vision.
21. “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.”Warren Buffet
22. “Stock market bubbles don’t grow out of thin air. They have a solid basis in reality, but reality as distorted by a misconception.”George Soros
23. “In many ways, the stock market is like the weather in that if you don’t like the current conditions, all you have to do is wait a while.”Low Simpson
24. “You get a recession; you have stock market declines. If you don’t understand that’s going to happen, then you’re not ready, you won’t do well in the markets.”Peter Lynch
25. “All the math you need in the stock market you get in the fourth grade.”Peter Lynch
26. “If stock market experts were so expert, they would be buying stock, not selling advice.”Ralph Augustine
27. “Investors should purchase stocks like they purchase groceries, not like they purchase perfume.”Ben Graham
Ben Graham Puts It Best Here
28. “One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute.”William Feather Trading Quotes
29. “Only the game, can teach you the game.”Jesse Livermore
30. “Stop trying to predict the direction of the stock market, the economy, or the elections.”Warren Buffet
31. “Rich people makes money when the stock market goes up, rich people makes even more money when the stock market goes down.”Unknown
32. “If you have trouble imagining a 20% loss in the stock market, you shouldn’t be in stocks.”John Bogle
33. “The stock market is filled with individuals who know the price of everything, but the value of nothing.”Phillip Fisher
34. “The stock market, as a whole, has and will recover from every downturn.”Naved Abdali
35. “Stock market doesn’t only teaches to make money but it also teaches lot about life, patience, persistence and wisdom.”Raj Mishra
10 Risk Management Quotes For Traders
Risk management is essential when trading because it cuts down losses, which in itself is less mentally draining. Some people get easily affected when they lose, although it is simply not possible to maintain winning positions all the time.
Successful traders have great risk management systems implemented, helping them increase assets, and know when to stop trading to avoid losses. Sometimes, things are quite simple, only requiring you to step away from that market even for just a second.
The trading quotes we compiled below will make sure you learn or get reminded of the fundamentals, as well as motivate you on a bad day.
36. “Seek advice on risk from the wealthy who still take risks, not friends who dare nothing more than a football bet.”J. Paul Getty
37. “There’s no shame in losing money on a stock. Everybody does it. What is shameful is to hold on to a stock, or worse, to buy more of it when the fundamentals are deteriorating.”Peter Lynch
38. “The three main objectives of investors are: (1) Capital conservation, or stability of market value of invested principal; (2) Liberal income at a fixed rate; and (3) Capital growth.”T. Rowe Price
39. “An investor without investment objectives is like a traveler without a destination.”Ralph Seger
40. “Investing should be more like watching paint dry or watching grass grow. If you want excitement, take $800 and go to Las Vegas.”Paul Samuelson
41. “Trading effectively is about assessing probabilities, not certainties.”Yvan Byeajee Trading Quotes
42. “It is the job of the market to turn the base material of our emotions into gold.”Andrei Codrescu
43. “If most traders would learn to sit on their hands 50 percent of the time, they would make a lot more money.”Bill Lipschutz
Overtrading Is Never A Good Idea
44. “I just wait until there is money lying in the corner, and all I have to do is go over there and pick it up. I do nothing in the meantime.”Jim Rogers
45. “I’m only rich because I know when I’m wrong. I basically have survived by recognizing my mistakes.”George Soros
The 10 Best Stock Trading Quotes
When trading stocks, people encounter many hardships, which make or break them. This depends on the person’s predisposition and character. A combination of skills that allowed the most prominent investors to keep on working even when encountering significant losses is discipline, rationality, commitment, and mindset.
People confuse stock trading for a game of chance, whereas it is more like a game of calculated risk. Fear and impatience are the main factors that turn this game of analysis and research into a luck contest for many investors. This is why it is important to stay level-headed on your trading journey.
Whether you are feeling lost or want the opinion of successful traders on how to become better at the craft, this list of ten quotes by eminent investors will help keep you in check.
46. “Invest in yourself as much as you can; you are your own biggest asset by far.”Warren Buffet
47. “Do more of what works and less of what doesn’t.”Steve Clark
48. “The hard work in trading comes in the preparation. The actual process of trading, however, should be effortless.”Jack Schwager
49. “My attitude is that I always want to be better prepared than someone I’m competing against [other traders]. The way I prepare myself is by doing my work each night.”Marty Schwartz
50. “Win or lose, everybody gets what they want from the market. Some people seem to like to lose, so they win by losing money.”Ed Seykota
51. “When in doubt, get out and get a good night’s sleep. I’ve done that lots of times and the next day everything was clear… While you are in [the position], you can’t think. When you get out, then you can think clearly again.”Michael Marcus
Don’t Overthink & Overreact
52. “If a trader is motivated by the money, then it is the wrong reason. A truly successful trader has got to be involved and into the trading, the money is the side issue… The principal motivation is not the trappings of success. It’s usually the by-product – simply stated, “the game’s the thing”.Bill Lipschutz
53. “The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.”John Maynard Keynes
54. “Don’t focus on making money, focus on protecting what you have.”Paul Tudor Jones
55. “Don’t worry about what the markets are going to do, worry about what you are going to do in response to the markets.”Michael Carr
Bonus: 11 Warren Buffet‘s Quotes Of Advice & Wisdom
When thinking of the most renowned investor of all time, Warren Buffet inevitably comes to mind. His words of wisdom are often seen and heard in many places in the financial sector. Whether it is about trading, investing, management, or even taxes, Buffet has a lot to say.
He’s already been named the world’s wealthiest person of 2008. Warren Buffet is also known to provide in-depth information about his life through books, interviews, speeches, etc. If you want to know more about his life, we suggest checking our article “20 Warren Buffet Book Recommendations For Broad Mind“. In there, you will find a sub-section in which we discuss books about the life of Buffet.
Leaving that aside, we present you with some of Warren Buffet’s famous quotes of advice on trading, investing, finances, and life.
56. “I never attempt to make money on the stock market. I buy on the assumption that they could close the market the next day and not reopen it for five years.”Warren Buffet
57. “Time is the friend of the wonderful company, the enemy of the mediocre.”Warren Buffet
58. “Calling someone who trades actively in the market an investor is like calling someone who repeatedly engages in one-night stands a romantic.”Warren Buffet
59. ““Buy a stock the way you would buy a house. Understand and like it such that you’d be content to own it in the absence of any market.”Warren Buffet
60. “Successful investing takes time, discipline and patience.”Warren Buffet
61. “An investor should act as though he had a lifetime decision card with just 20 punches on it.”Warren Buffet
Warren Buffet Always Gives Us Food For Thought
62. “It is not necessary to do extraordinary things to get extraordinary results.”Warren Buffet
63. “Most people get interested in stocks when everyone else is. The time to get interested is when no one else is. You can’t buy what is popular and do well.”Warren Buffet
64. “Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy only when others are fearful.”Warren Buffet
65. “I insist on a lot of time being spent, almost every day, to just sit and think. That is very uncommon in American business. I read and think. So I do more reading and thinking, and make less impulse decisions than most people in business.”Warren Buffet
66. “The best thing that happens to us is when a great company gets into temporary trouble…We want to buy them when they’re on the operating table.”Warren Buffet
If these ones were interesting for you, we’ve got a whole compilation of some of Warren Buffet’s best quotes.
Although these quotes might seem vague and practical knowledge is not easy to find, they give you food for thought, which is largely important. This means that when you are feeling down after a significant loss, unmotivated, or like you’ve lost direction, having a simple type of inspiration can be especially helpful.
Remaining a lifelong learner will enable you to combat the difficulties of the trading and investment sectors. What better way to do that than to see what the most profound traders have to say about it.
Some of the quotes give insight into how the market works, others are witty saying taking a shot at traders who depend on luck. However, all quotes come from the profound experience and wisdom these people have.
We suggest keeping the ones that resonated the most with you somewhere easily accessible. Doing so is going to be valuable when you need that breath of fresh air to help you in dire times.