This article was last updated on February 1, 2022
He tragically passed away on March 14, 2018, at the age of 76, leaving behind a great and unique legacy. British physicist Stephen Hawking was without a doubt one of the most motivating and life-changing people of the last century. He is not only an absolute intellectual giant but also an example of incredible endurance and willpower in the face of debilitating disability. We have collected 22 of the most brilliant Stephen Hawking quotes to inspire you and to commemorate his passing.
Diagnosed with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), a form of motor neuron disease, at age 21, doctors gave him 2 years to live. He overcame crippling illness to create some of the most groundbreaking scientific theories in the last few centuries. Hawking’s goal was incredibly ambitious – to understand the deepest workings of the universe. For that goal, he devoted everything to finding a “theory of everything”.
With all his awe-inspiring achievements, we tend to forget he was also a loving father of three. It was his first wife, Jane Wilde, who helped him more than anyone when he was gradually losing control over his own body.
He gained wide recognition for his groundbreaking work on black holes and relativity, changing humanity’s understanding of the Universe. Apart from his research, he wrote several popular science books including A Brief History of Time, selling more than 10 million copies.
The Theory of Everything is the 2014 Oscar-winning depiction of his life. The movie showed that Stephen Hawking might be disabled in body, but certainly not in his ambitions.
He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will inspire generations to come. How will you remember him? This list of the most brilliant Stephen Hawking quotes will show you anything is possible.
12 Genius Stephen Hawking Quotes To Remember Him
- “However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. It matter that you don’t just give up.” – Stephen Hawking
- “Without imperfection, you or I would not exist.” – Stephen Hawking
- “The thing about smart people is that they seem like crazy people to dumb people.” – Stephen Hawking
- “It will take about a thousand million million million million years for the Earth to run into the sun, so there’s no immediate cause for worry!” – Stephen Hawking
- “Quiet people have the loudest minds.” – Stephen Hawking
- “We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special.” – Stephen Hawking
- “Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change.” – Stephen Hawking Quotes
- “If we find the answer to why the universe exists, it would be the ultimate triumph of human reason – for then we would know the mind of God.” – Stephen Hawking
- “If time travel is possible, where are the tourists from the future?” – Stephen Hawking
- “It surprises me how disinterested we are today about things like physics, space, the universe and philosophy of our existence, our purpose, our final destination. It’s a crazy world out there. Be curious.” – Stephen Hawking
- “We are all different, but we share the same human spirit. Perhaps it’s human nature that we adapt and survive.” – Stephen Hawking
- “The idea of 10 dimensions might sound exciting, but they would cause real problems if you forget where you parked your car.” – Stephen Hawking
12 Quotes On Life By Stephen Hawking
- “My advice to other disabled people would be, concentrate on things your disability doesn’t prevent you doing well, and don’t regret the things it interferes with. Don’t be disabled in spirit, as well as physically.” – Stephen Hawking
- “Keeping an active mind has been vital to my survival, as has been maintaining a sense of humor.” – Stephen Hawking
- “My expectations were reduced to zero when I was 21. Everything since then has been a bonus.” – Stephen Hawking Quotes
- “The downside of my celebrity is that I cannot go anywhere in the world without being recognized. It is not enough for me to wear dark sunglasses and a wig. The wheelchair gives me away.” – Stephen Hawking
- “The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” – Stephen Hawking
- “Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious, and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.” – Stephen Hawking
- “People who boast about their IQ are losers.” – Stephen Hawking
See also: Steve Jobs – If Today Was The Last Day Of My Life
- “My goal is simple. It is a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all.” – Stephen Hawking
- “He once said: ‘It would not be much of a universe if it wasn’t home to the people you love” – Stephen Hawking
- “Although I cannot move and I have to speak through a computer, in my mind I am free.” – Stephen Hawking
- “The universe doesn’t allow perfection.” – Stephen Hawking
- “Simplicity is a matter of taste.” – Stephen Hawking
BONUS: My Favorite 6 Stephen Hawking Quotes
- “While there’s life, there is hope.” – Stephen Hawking
- “I have spent my life traveling across the universe, inside my mind.” – Stephen Hawking
- “I am very aware of the preciousness of time. Seize the moment. Act now.” – Stephen Hawking
- “I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road.” – Stephen Hawking
- “We create history by our observation, rather than history creating us.” – Stephen Hawking
- “The universe does not behave according to our pre-conceived ideas. It continues to surprise us.” – Stephen Hawking
VIDEO – Stephen Hawking’s Last Words to Humanity
Watch our video about the most powerful message from one of the greatest minds in history. We remember him not only as a brilliant scientist, but also – and more importantly – as one of the bravest and inspiring people to have ever lived on our planet.
May he rest in peace among the stars.
Thank you for reading our collection of the most brilliant Stephen Hawking quotes! Don’t forget to share it on social media using the buttons below so others can also enjoy his wisdom.
Which Stephen Hawking quotes did you appreciate most? Comment below.