This article was last updated on December 16, 2021
The masterpiece that is ‘A Song of Ice and Fire’ has truly transformed the literature and film industries of the modern world and brought an entire generation on the verge of obsession. Through his eloquent writing, George R. R. Martin has made the world fall in love with characters such as the likes of John Snow, Daenerys Targaryen, and Tyrion Lannister. However, beyond introducing us to the magical world that is Game of Thrones, George Martin has taught us some fundamental lessons about honor, love, and the constant battle between good and evil. Although taking place in a magical world full of dragons, white walkers, and human resurrection, Martin finds a way to connect to all of our covert, mortal worries and lusts. For this reason, we’ve collected some of the best quotes George R. R. Martin has blessed us with.
Here Are 21 George R. R. Martin Quotes On Honesty, Dignity, and Life
- “Every man should lose a battle in his youth, so he does not lose a war when he is old.” – George R. R. Martin
- “Most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it.” – George R. R. Martin
- “Nobody is a villain in their own story. We’re all the heroes of our own stories.” – George R. R. Martin
- “A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone if it is to keep its edge.” – George R. R. Martin
If you’re enjoying these quotes you can also read these 21 Life-Changing Quotes on Building Your Character.
George R. R. Martin Quotes from Game of Thrones
- “My biggest dream was to ruin the lives of my readers and crush their souls… And I really think that worked out pretty well for me.” – George R. R. Martin
- “We look up at the same stars and see such different things.” – Jon Snow
- “A man does not need to be a wizard to know truth from falsehood, not if he has eyes. You need only learn to read a face. Look at the eyes. The mouth. The muscles here, at the corners of the jaw, and here, where the neck joins the shoulders.” – George R. R. Martin
- “There is no creature on earth half so terrifying as a truly just man.” – George R. R. Martin
- “What is honor compared to a woman’s love? What is duty against the feel of a newborn son in your arms . . . or the memory of a brother’s smile? Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.” – George R. R. Martin
- “Everything’s better with some wine in the belly.” – George R. R. Martin
- “The things we love destroy us every time, lad. Remember that.” – George R. R. Martin
- “We all need to be mocked from time to time, lest we take ourselves too seriously.” – George R. R. Martin
- “Power resides only where men believe it resides. […] A shadow on the wall, yet shadows can kill. And oftentimes a very small man can cast a very large shadow.” – George R. R. Martin
If you haven’t read Game Of Thrones and you are a fantasy fan, we highly suggest you to do it – you’re missing out a lot.
Quotes by George R.R. Martin On Life
- “Different roads sometimes lead to the same castle.” – George R. R. Martin
- “I like dogs better than knights. A hound will die for you but never lie to you. And he’ll look you straight in the face.” – George R. R. Martin
- “It is one thing to be clever and another to be wise.” – George R. R. Martin
- “The unseen enemy is always the most fearsome.” – George R. R. Martin
- “The man who fears losing has already lost.” – George R. R. Martin
- “When you know what a man wants you to know who he is, and how to move him.” – George R. R. Martin
- “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R. R. Martin
- “Winter is coming.” – George R. R. Martin
As George Martin once said, “When you play the Game of Thrones you win or you die.” So play the game that is life and embrace all of the challenges and difficulties it may bring along, because that is the beauty of life. Which were your favorite George R. R. Martin quotes? Let us know in the comments below.